Matthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class casting continues to pull in the talent. The film will follow the formative years of the teenage X-Men and the relationship between Professor X and Magneto.
Marvel's latest casting update includes:
- January Jones (Mad Men's Betty Draper) as the scantily clad telepath, Emma Frost.
- Rose Byrne (Damages, 28 Days Later) as scientist and Xavier's love interest, Moira MacTaggert.
- Jason Flemyng (Layer Cake, Stardust) as father of Nightcrawler and demonic seducer, Azazel.
- Oliver Platt (Frost/Nixon, Wonder Woman) as the mysterious own-known character, "Man in Black".
- Zoe Kravitz as the fly-winged Angel Salvadore.
- Bill Milner as a young young Magneto
- Morgan Lily as the new character, Raven - presumably the love interest of young young Magneto
This latest batch joins James McAvoy (Charles Xavier), Michael Fassbender (Magneto), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique), Edi Gathegi (Darwin), Lucas Till (Alex Summers), Nicholas Hoult (Beast), Caleb Landry Jones (Banshee) and Kevin Bacon, who will play an as-yet-disclosed villain.
So far we're seeing a very different line-up to in the comics, which had Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and Angel as the original first class. Having seen Cyclops meet Xavier for the first time at the end of Wolverine and Jean Grey do so in a flash-back in The Last Stand, it remains unclear whether they'll appear in First Class. There was also the grown-up version of Angel in The Last Stand and Iceman in the other movies was a young teenager so would have been a toddler during this timeline's first class. In a way, it's good to mix things up so show-case some different characters and make things a little more exciting.
Here's a gallery of the entire cast so far and what I'd call an array of talent:
X-Men: First Class release date: 3rd June 2011